Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Office Challenge

I had a tough job today, working on a business office.

Tough for two reasons:
1. This is a business associate I see weekly.
2. It is a business office, usually I work with residential clients.

Working with a business office always seemed tricker to me because there are different issues to consider versus home offices. Business offices can be public, whereas home offices are private. You must take the time to understand the business and the needs of the office before jumping into getting it organized. I am just plain more comfortable working with residential clients than business. (I hate to admit it, but it is true)


Before
I spent a lot of time talking with "John" trying to understand his needs and goals for his office. Brought some suggestions, which were not readily accepted. Some storage plans were shot down. I really felt worried going into this project. I then decided I would just do my best and see what happens.


After
The job went well. I started at the top and worked my way down. (That system seems to work best for me) Began clearing off the top of the cabinets, then the upper cabinets. Onto the desktop, and tackled a couple of the cabinets under the desk. He had some cabinets (not shown in the pictures) along another wall that took some time sorting through. In the end, the office is back to a great starting point. John was left with a couple piles he needed to sort out. (hopefully he will toss the majority of those papers)

The best part was he left me to work for a few hours, when he returned...."WOW! Angie this is amazing!"

He was pleased and I felt much better. Postive thinking always pays off in the end. Now, I am ready to take on business offices with more confidence.

Thank you John for pushing me out of my comfort zone.

It was my pleasure helping you.

How has a client ever pushed you out of your comfort zone?

No comments: