Monday, October 11, 2010

Organizing Chaos ... Oh, Yeah Baby!!

"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line ... Nature exhibits not simply a higher degree but an altogether different level of complexity". Benoit Mandelbrot

The Mandelbrot Set is infinitely complex though generated from a simple equation involving complex numbers.
(OK, how many are completely lost? Please bear with this Rocket Scientist)

Fractal geometry = rough, fragmented, complex geometric shapes
Complex numbers = meet me at Panera's and I'll explain
Simple equation = Z = Z^2 + C (This explanation may require beers)

ANYWAY....What does this have to do with getting organized?!?

If you look around you there may appear to be chaos, where likely there is order. When working with clients, I notice that usually they know where things are. They have a system or method to their madness. It is when control is lost, their feelings begin to turn negative toward themselves, then I am asked to step in and help.

Chaos exists in Nature and Math, which gives us clouds, lighting bolts and really cool images. These are all beautiful results from chaos.
Chaos is good. Really GOOD!

Without chaos, life would be boring.

Look around you at the chaos in your life. Is there order to it?
Appreciate the beauty of chaos and have fun.
If you are struggling, then get a grip, take charge
and bring in some order.

Give us an example of good chaos.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mental Chaos for order.
The other day my son came in the house and asked of we had a funnel? Yeah, right! In THIS house? As a newly confessed hoarder seeking solutions, I thought of the piles of stuff in my home and thought what rediculous question - Where in THIS house would I find a funnel? No way! I thought to myself... then before I realized it, I quickly answered him, "IN the kitchen, on top of the refridgerator, in the back, in the old recycled cookie tin, amongst my food coloring, cookie cutters and other cake decorating paraphenalia"... and it WAS there. But, why is it when I sincerely need to find something, that I often ravage through boxes and drawers unable to find the item, but when one is more dis-connected... from the need of finding it, it is easily remembered. Like the silly dittys that help us remember important things - singing the alphabet, meaningless poems or sentences to aide memorization - Do Ra Me Fa So La Ti Do; Every Good Boy Does Fine, or even the Elements Song of the Periodic Table!http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html Why is it... if you make it rediculous - you can remember? Mentally tie it to something completely unrelated and irrelevant and BINGO! Your brain kicks in as if it was meant to process it that way? Go figure. lol. God has a sense of humor!

Angie Weid said...

Wendyleweldon - thanks for your comment. I forgot about the Elements Song for the Periodic Table. Enjoy the day!