Thursday, January 04, 2007

Stand Up and Talk

This morning I had my 10 minute presentation on my business for my BNI group. I was very nervous, also quite excited to tell them about me and my business. My very good friend Joani Donovan, fka Joani Algiere, set the stage for me with an AWESOME introduction! Her humor put me at ease (thank you).

When I was planning this, I had a too many things to mention. So I thought I would rather go short than cram in everything, leaving time for questions.

How was I going to start and get their attention at 7:30AM?


AH, HA!! Stand on a chair! PERFECT!!

I'm a nut, I will admit that. My girlfriends will vouch for me.

Bottom line: I had everyone's attention in the room.

I was only briefly up on the chair, I jumped down, walked a bit (eases the jitters), and felt I did a good job getting my business presented.

It has been 9 years since I had to do a formal presentation. When I was a Design Engineer, I had them weekly. This one was WAY more fun than any presentation I have ever done on Method of Blow Molding a Vertical Rib. (How much fun can you imagine I had with this project? Read the words slowly, and laugh)

I forgot I could do this. My first, and most difficult, presentation is done. 3 more this month and 2 scheduled in February.

Mmmmmm....2007 is off to a great start!

Let me know if you want me to speak....I'll come up with something fun.

Have you ever forgotten that you could do something?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. The dreaded presentation. Why is it that I so dread being the center of attention and my husband loves it so? Chemical imbalance, I think...but which one of us is, indeed, out of whack? You tell me.

And speaking of chemicals...First professional presentation I gave was to a group of about 30 regional sales managers for a cleaning products manufacturer (oo la la). The topic: Antibiotic resistant bacteria and the role of disinfectants. Now that's "HOT"...but not nearly as exciting as blow molding a vertical rib, I must admit!

Congrats on the great prez, Angie!