Friday, October 30, 2009

Professional Organizer Q and A

A heartfilled thank you goes out to Rubbermaid for featuring your's truly in their Adventures in Organizing blog.

Timing could not have been more perfect, since I was having one of those "woe is me" single mom moments. If you've been a single mom, you know what I'm talking about.

Here are the questions:

1) How long have you been a professional organizer?
Wow! It was officially 5 years this past September, though my friends and family say I’ve been doing it my whole life.

2) What inspired you to become a professional organizer?
After my career as an engineer at a major auto company, I became a mom and love raising my boys. Life has a way creating twists and unexpectedly found myself divorced. Feeling I was spirally downward, I had a good old fashion pity party. Walking into the woods with a notepad and pen, I began to write all that I had accomplished, beginning with “I can walk.” After a bit of a chuckle, and three pages later, it was clear I love the fun of life. Thought if I was going to start anew, let’s do something fun and help people enjoy life. I shared my business idea with my friends and family who thought it was perfect for me.

3) What is the most common organizing project you’re hired to do?
There are two that stand out. The woman whose home has slowly become cluttered and needs help getting it back on track. We talk about how her home ideally should look and feel to come up with a plan to get it there and maintain it. The other project is helping families downsize their loved ones as a senior move manager. Maintaining the peace amongst family members during this transition can be tricky. Success is when the loved one turns to me and says, “Thank you for making my apartment feel like a home.”

4) What is the most common organizing challenge people have?
The one that pops into my head first is letting go of things that have lost purpose in their lives. At one time, we all have enjoyed every item we have ever owned. There does come a time when your favorite blouse is worn out, your daughter’s amazing first grade artwork is crumbling, family photos are fading and then there is that gift you received from your mom that you just never used. Helping people recognized that their items have served their purpose and it is time to let them go can be a challenge, though the smile on their faces when they sense it’s OK. Priceless.

5) If you had to pick ‘your’ biggest organizing challenge, what would it be?
I’m a single mom, raising two amazing boys, running a business, driving to soccer practice that constantly seems to hear, “Mom, I’m hungry.” My home is constantly drifting toward chaos. Maintaining some balance in my life can be a challenge. I recognize when we must take time and get our home back in shape. Being organized just doesn’t happen, it takes work. Even for this professional organizer.

6) What one tips would you give to people who are trying to get organized?
Set a date on your calendar. If the project is not written down, chances are it will not happen. Once you’ve got your date, do not make the project too big. Better to start with a drawer or shelf, enjoy success and move on to the next part. Getting organized does take time please be patient with yourself and you will be successful.

7) Are you really a rocket scientist?
With B.S. in Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering from Purdue University … yeah, I really am a rocket scientist. Getting organized is not “rocket science” but it sure makes you feel better about your space.

8) How can potential clients get in touch with you?
-They can call me: 734-890-1276
-Send me an email: angie@iorganizeyou.com
-Check out my website: http://www.iorganizeyou.com/
-Read some blog posts: iorganizeyou.blogspot.com
-Become friends on Facebook: www.facebook.com/OrganizedSolutions
-Tweet with me: twitter.com/iorganizeyou

What question would you like me to answer?

No comments: