Monday, December 04, 2006

The Power of a Song


OK, I digress from business to another post about music. I LOVE MUSIC!! A friend of mine brought up a topic about songs which has had me thinking for a couple days now.

What songs trigger you to think of something
that you will always recall?

There are soooo many songs that when I hear them I can recall certain details about my life. It is kind of freaky.
Here is a short list of some songs and their relevance in my life:

"Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree," Tony Orlando & Dawn---
I was 4-5 yrs old swinging on a swing set, singing this at the top of my lungs. My mom yelled at me for repeating the chorus over and over.

"Chariots of Fire," Movie Theme Song--My Aunt Dottie died of cancer when I was 16yr. She loved this movie. I cry whenever I hear it.

"Blackwater," Doobie Brothers--study group for AAE364(more like socializing) at Purdue University's Union. We all sang along when this song played. Typically someone chose to play it 2-3 times a night.

"You Light Up My Life," Debbie Boone--Greatest College Party EVER!!
We had a "Tacky Party." We played cheezy, crappy music and everyone had on tacky clothes. You could hear people singing this song from our apartment 2 blocks away!!

"November Rain,"
Guns N Roses--November 1991. I was very sick. Never can listen to this song entirely.

"Iris," Goo Goo Dolls--This came out when my oldest son, Matthew, was born. What an amazing kid! One of my favorite songs.

"I'm Alive," Celine Dion--I heard this song as I drove home from filing my divorce paperwork. I had such a sense of peace. This song always brings me up when I'm down.

"100 years," Five For Fighting--It will forever remind me of a dear friend that pulled me through a most difficult period. Showed me how to enjoy myself, find myself, and rebuild.

"Joy To The World," Three Dog Night--My boys, 6 & 8yrs, know this song by heart. We belt out this song driving down the road. I crack up when I hear them sing the line "make sweet love to you." (I'll have to explain it someday)

These songs were the ones that came to my mind quickly.
There are so many more I could list. This is enough.

What songs remind you of some past event or moment?

3 comments:

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

As you know, Angie, I also love music. And so many songs carry so many memories - some good, some sad.

A good one - "Always and Forever" by Shania Twain. I am not a fan of country music, but I bought this CD just because of this song. It's upbeat (and only slightly twangy) and is all about love. It's how I feel about my husband of 40 years.

I threw a surprise birthday party for him two years ago when he turned sixty (with 120 of his closest friends). I had the DJ play this song as we entered the reception hall. Can't listen to it now without thinking about that night.

A sad one - Eric Clapton's song "Tears in Heaven," written after the accidental death of his 4-year old son Connor, had just hit the charts.

My mom died shortly thereafter. I had the funeral home play it at the end of her funeral. So the song now reminds me not so much of that sad day, but of my mom. And that's a good thing. (So why am I sitting here now with tears in my eyes?)

Anonymous said...

AC/DC's Back in Black album. Driving "back roads" to BGSU from Swanton to get to an 8 a.m. class. Somehow...that TAPE (after all, it was the early 90s) always helped me arrive on time.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to what you're saying!

There's a song out, by Snow Patrol, called "Chasing Cars".

This FANTASTIC women I've met, instantly comes to my mind when I hear this tune!