Monday, April 14, 2008

Shake, Shake, Shake

We had a wonderful WEN SEMI meeting last week. It is so exciting to see this new networking group grow. People are making new connections and business is being created amongst the members.

Every meeting we have a speaker give a 15-20 minute presentation on a business related topic, and this month Linda Everhardt-Kardux, Business Navigators, spoke to us about the 10 Commandments of Networking. Part of her presentation included a discussion on handshakes.

I'm not sure who or where I learned the importance of a proper handshake, but I know a good handshake is key. My first supervisor at Ford commented on how confident and solid my handshake was at my interview. (He ended up giving me a job offer before I left - SWEET)

Linda presented the following the observations of Robert E. Brown, a California management consultant, longtime handshake observer and lecturer on the psychology of handshakes:

- Half-handed. A finger-only squeeze may show lack of connection and a fear of intimacy.

- Clammy. A cold and indifferent shake typically conveys fear or nervousness.

- Two-handed. This double tells the person wants intimacy too quickly; it may be a sign they can't be trusted.

- Over-the-top. When the palm faces down in relation to yours, they're expressing superiority and dominance.

My boys are working on their handshakes. You are never too young to learn how to shake hands appropriately. There are many personal touches that can easily get lost in our technology world of emails, text messages and voicemails.

How's your hand shakin?

1 comment:

SOUL said...

my hand shakes all by itself.. what's that mean? :))

actually i try to avoid it at all cost.

hmmm.

happy tuesday-